Sunday, August 17, 2008

My name is Katherine but you may call me Dick.





Speech is an area of significant delay for The Rascal. She is not able to say her own name. This bothers me but doesn’t seem to bother her in the least. When we ask her what her name is she will answer “Mommy” or “Daddy” or “Eee ewww” (the name she calls the dog) and laugh like a drunken sailor.

Before The Goose was able to pronounce her little sister’s name “Katherine” she called her “Kaki”. I tried to resurrect this nickname for Katherine The Rascal.

“Hello little girl. Is your name Kaki? Why yes it is. Here is Kaki. Your name is Kaki. Can you say Kaki.”

Katherine responded with a huge smile and enthusiastic nodding of the head, tapped her chest and said as clear as a bell “Dick”.

I know what you are thinking and you’re wrong. Dick’s hearing is perfectly normal.

1 comment:

Maui Mama said...

Tiana Grace is 4-1/2yrs and can't (or won't) call me 'mommy'. For now both my husband and I are 'dada'.

Me: Tiana, say mmmmommy
Tiana: mmmmdada
Me: Arrrrrrrr!

She's just starting to verbalize certain letters and some words, for now her signs will have to do.